Thursday, January 31, 2013

today: the truth does more than hurt

Today I am really grateful for: the difficult truths that are hard to hear but ultimately necessary.

Today I am sorry for: hurting people when I feel hurt.

Today I am thinking about: how we respond to suffering. Do we respond with loving kindness or cruelty? (Also: this.)

Today I am going to sleep hoping: I can truly live with beginner's mind and be the friend, daughter, neighbor, colleague, sister, and partner that the people around me deserve and that I deserve to be.

Today I am reading:

Paradise

by Louis Jenkins
January finally drags into February and one fumbles with
numb fingers at the ordinary knots and hooks of life. People
are irritable, difficult. Some days you want to stay in bed
with the covers over your head and dream of paradise. A
place where the warm sea washes the white sand. There
are a few palm trees on the higher ground, many brightly
colored fish in the lagoon, waves breaking on the reef
farther out. No one in sight. Occasionally an incredibly
large, split-second shark darkens the clear water. Sea birds
ride the wind currents, albatross, kittiwake, ... and pass
on. Day after day, sea wind and perfect sky .... You make a
big heap of driftwood on the beach.


Tomorrow: I begin again. Simple as that. 

1 comment:

  1. A perfect poem for the first day of February and a beautiful meditation that is a good reminder for all of us!

    ReplyDelete