Monday, January 7, 2013

Fresh Start

Blog, you've been good to me.

One of my 2012 goals was to write more. Apparently I have succeeded because per my annual traditional to write out my New Year goals in my paper journal, I discovered I have been ignoring that thing! My last handwritten entry was in March 2012. Sheesh.Yet here, on the World Wide Web, I wrote nearly 90 entries in 2012. Yes! Success!

Looking back over my 2012 goals, I was pleased to see that I have really followed through on a number of them in addition to the writing goal. I've been more thoughtful about how my money goes out into the world, I've been commited to my health and getting to a healthy/comfortable weight, and I've removed negative and toxic influences in various ways. I've still got a ways to go in the work-life balance aspirations, but it's nice to have something to continue to work towards.

So, later this week I will write down - in detail - some of my mundane to fascinating 2013 dreams, but for now a teeny pre-slumber preview/anecdote.

After spending some time writing in detail about 2013 - my hopes for 2013, my desires for 2013, my names for 2013, and my spiritual practices for 2013 - I set my ultimate intention for the coming year. My intention is:

To enjoy 2013 and make the most of a fresh start.

Writing that down - using up an entire page of my journal just to write those words - inspired a huge, satisfied sigh to leave my being. I put the cap on my pen, put my journal down, and grabbed the first book from my nightstand that my hand touched. It just happened to be a book I haven't consulted in far too long, Pema Chodron's The Places that Scare You.

I opened the book and it fell right to the chapter called "Fresh Start."

Damn, universe, I love you for providing instant affirmation.

Pema writes:

We will discover forgiveness as a natural expression of the open heart, an expression of our basic goodness. This potential is inherent in every moment. Each moment is an opportunity to make a fresh start.

Amen.

Onward and upward!


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for beginnings! I love when it feels like the universe gives me a hug. Yesterday, I learned that I got "the lucky coin" in my piece of bread- a Serbian Christmas tradition. I couldn't believe it! A hug from the universe!

    ReplyDelete