Sunday, March 11, 2012

march: looking forward

This photo of my parent's new dog, Bea, makes my face hurt from laughing. But I also love it - I love how she is on the edge of something (literal), peaking out and waiting for her moment to (I imagine) bound down the stairs and into an adventure.

So with that in mind, it acts as my March inspiration as I strive to be a little more verbal about what my goals are for the coming days, weeks, and months - and then bound forward into them.

I've been rather vague in this space - speaking whimsically about ugly robes and whatnot - but I feel it's time to be a little more specific. I was inspired by my friend's own list of 101 things to do in 1001 days (I think I have the numbering right there), and I figured it wouldn't hurt to be a little more transparent about some goals I have for myself.  After all, sometimes it takes just saying it out loud to feel a little more inclined to take action.

So in no particular order a few things that have been top of mind:

1) The gym aka: my long-forgotten-lover. 

I go through periods of making working out a priority and getting to the gym nearly every day, and then I fall off the horse so hard and find a month (or more) has gone by since my last visit. Usually the fall occurs because life feels so dang busy and I just don't have the time. But that's a lie. I do have the time, I just am not finding the internal motivation to make it a priority. So when I talk about "the gym" as a goal, I really mean: How do I make exercise a part of my life in a way that is long-term and sustainable? Figure it out!

And more specifically, I want to achieve the health and well-being I know I am capable of. I think activity and exercise is a part of that picture, so I need to determine what has been keeping me from taking as good care of myself as I know I can be. 

2) Sometimes you're quirky and sometimes you're just alone.

I probably should put a little more effort into my dating life creating a dating life. It's been a ridiculously long time since I've put any effort into dating, and while I'm fine being alone, it feels silly to not explore this part of life.

3) Kitchen adventures.

I got a few amazing cookbooks as gifts recently. I want to use them more. I especially want to try recipes that seem a little scary or challenging. That's the point after all, right? This leads into another goal...

4) Think about how my money goes into the universe.

I just got a paper-shredder yesterday to get rid of YEARS of old documents and bills, and let me tell you the process was sobering. There are many things I know I can do in my life that not only are money-saving, but also make me feel better. Those things include: cooking rather than eating out, buying second-hand rather than new, drinking less alcohol, hosting more parties & potlucks rather than a night on the town. Also, when I spend my money more thoughtfully, I can have more treat yo self moments when I feel like it. Reason enough to be more thrifty throughout my life!

So those are four goals to get me started. They are rather large, so I might find myself whittling them down even more as I start to dig in. It did feel good to get them out there, because when I look at them they really do capture the top things that are on my mind right now: health, love, self-care, and money.  These are the parts of me that feel suffocating when I am ignoring them and energizing when I am giving them the attention they deserve.

Bounding down...



No comments:

Post a Comment